Saturday, January 26, 2013

how a song can take you back to a moment

digital love, Daft Punk

it is early december and my heart is breaking, the relationship with the boy i've been falling for is crumbling, he has pulled away slowly for several weeks...
it's been a long, arduous day and i'm waiting in a parking lot downtown for one of my best friends...my crazy friend...she pulls up across the street and synonymously this song starts playing and it hits me somewhere deep...
my heart is so wrecked...I am in such surrender and i simply don't care...i am out of my car and i leave the door open to allow the music to blast from my speakers and i am dancing with wild abandon all around the parking lot. i am half aware of a car full of boys who are watching me across the way, but i don't give a fuck because this is the first time i've felt light in my heart all day...
my friend approaches and she knows what to do without question without words she joins me in this absurdity...
once the song ends one of the boys get out of the car and asks if we are professional dancers...


lights, Ellie Goulding

it is mid september and i am flying across country, headed east. leaving my life behind allows me to see it more clearly as i recall being in his arms a week ago...my naked breasts against his chest, the familiarity of his sheets, his tatted arms...i recall all of this while on a plane surrounded by people but i am alone and so far away in my thoughts of that night, this song is ringing in my ears through my headphones, it calls to my adrenaline, quickens the pace of my heart as i realize this IS how it is to be with him, this song is my experience in his sheets, and earlier that night how he drove us in my car to his house and we sang loudly together to whatever 90s grunge band was playing on my stereo.
that was the night i understood what he is to me--how he appears in my life for moments and adventures laced with abandon and freedom. how he is the first man i ever kissed and how he never meant security to me...
i am on this plane surrounded by so many people, by this song, and i am somewhere else entirely in my thoughts.


ego, Beyonce

it is mid august. i am flying down the freeway with the blur of redwoods in my peripheral. the sunroof is open letting in the sunshine and all the windows are down inviting a frenzy of wind that sweeps my wet curls every which way.
i've got that feeling when you are owning it--who you are as a woman, and as a spirit. when you feel free and passionate because you've allowed yourself to surrender to sensuality. i feel sexy and vibrantly alive.
one of my best friends is beside me and we are rocking it to this song. hamming it particularly to the dialogue at the beginning.
it is summer. my legs are bare, my hair is free and the night is before us. everything is good and free and light.

No comments:

Post a Comment